Age Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back to Work...sort of

I had my first day back at work on May 3rd.  I only worked 6 hours and it went pretty good.  Originally I was planning to take off from her birth until May 21st, but then decided that I would go back part time in May to get back in the swing of things.  So the plan became to work 6 hours on Mondays, 6 hours on Wednesdays and 4 hours on Thursdays for the month of May, taking the entire last week off so we can go on a family trip.  

The entire first week went well for me...I missed Fiona, but not too much.  The work days went by fast, I got to talk about her a lot and show off some pictures.  I also got caught up on emails and somewhat on the status of my projects.  Plus at home Sean had help from his mom and grandma.  The second week was harder though.  Working part time became harder because I felt the need to accomplish what I was when I worked full time and that's unrealistic.  I started missing her more, the days seemed to drag on slowly and I couldn't really focus on my work.  Plus Sean was now home alone with Fiona and she was wearing him out fast.  So I decided to take the entire last 2 weeks of May off, which is possible thanks to some donated leave from my father-in-law and a friend and my work's leave bank (and a note from my doctor).  Hopefully my boss doesn't hold it against me...he's very work focused so I'm not sure he appreciates the situation I'm in.  Another 2 weeks isn't going to make or break anything that I'm working on, but it's one fifth on Fiona's life at this point.  I think it's more important for me to be with her than to be at work.

I feel like I'm just postponing the inevitable day when I have to go back to work, but at least I'll get a couple more weeks at home to enjoy with her and Sean.  Maybe once I go back full time I'll be able to focus more on work when I'm at work and family when I'm at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment