Now that it's no longer freezing cold, just 'normal winter' cold, we've been getting out and about a bit more. Last Friday the girls and I met Sean at work for (a Valentine's) lunch, and then headed over to the Air Force Museum to walk about and look at the airplanes. We made it through all of the hangers except the missiles, although we didn't really stop to read anything so it went pretty fast. We did stop to play a couple of simulator games. Fiona's arms were too short though so I had to work the stick for one of them. Both girls were super good. Fiona walked the whole time (about an hour and a half total, but that includes stopping to feed Ava), and Ava hung out in the stroller. I want to stop by the Presidential hanger a different day, and definitely plan to go back once the Shuttle exhibit is open.
Fiona was more enamored with the bench than the airplane
Future space traveler?
Posing in front of Papa's airplane (he worked on this actual airplane/tail number, back in the day)
Today, Fiona and I went ice-skating at an indoor open skate. Sean was off work so he could stay home with Ava since he has no interest in skating or being at a skating rink. We got our skates on and Fiona was excited to get on the ice, but as we started going she was having trouble balancing and was getting a little nervous/scared. So she started crying and saying she wanted to leave. By this time we were a quarter lap and I wasn't going to turn around to skate against the flow; I'm not a great skater and didn't want to run head-on into someone. So we had to get around the lap once. Thankfully I was able to get Fiona to stop crying and give it a chance; she was able to understand that it was just for fun and that it'd be good to try a little more. Once she stopped crying and started relaxing she really enjoyed it. We ended up skating 7 laps, very slowly. The first one she held the wall and my hand, then she just held my hand or even skated by herself a little. Her technique could use improvement, but I was really proud of her. She fell a bunch of times, and caught herself on my leg or with my hand even more, but each time she dusted herself off and kept going.

No comments:
Post a Comment