Age Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, January 24, 2011

Blogging style

As I was writing my post the other night I started thinking about how many of my posts sound very similar and, in general, began pondering my style for blogging.  I would call it conversational and picture heavy.  It's also not the most sophisticated in terms of the writing style.  I'd rate it better than a fifth grader, but not exactly the most captivating.  My blog is also somewhat of a journal, but doesn't always capture my feelings so much as strictly record events (times, places, actions).  Being the inquisitive person that I am, I googled blogging style and found this link, which says there are in fact 25 different styles of blogging.  I have used two - life and photo.  Some of them would never apply to me...live blogging, don't think so.  However I might try some others just to mix it up.  Another site, Dr. Shock MD PhD (nice name), lists only four blogging styles.
  • The Therapeutic Blogging style is a style that is open and expressive, focused on affective exchange and symptom relief, and more directed to the concerns of the blogger than the blog readers.
  • The Connected Blogging style. This blogging style uses blogs to connect and communicate with others rather than solve emotional problems. Their highly interactive blogs appear to enhance friendship networks in a range of ways.
  • The Self-Censoring style is focused on substantial positive identity construction. These bloggers use their blog for self-management and they use self-censorship and self-presentation strategies when authoring their blogs.
  • The Substitution Blogging style is a style in which the blogger focuses on feedback from others and readership appears to be successful. These bloggers usually have a higher number subscribers and comments from their readership. They have a a strong focus on interaction with others through the blog.

I would definitely characterize my style as therapeutic, since a large number of my posts are just as much, if not more, for me as my intended audience.  I don't really think I'm interested in trying any of these other styles. 

The little bit of research that I did on this topic was interesting so maybe I'll try this (i.e. posting about something other than Fiona's day to day activities and accomplishments) on a semi-regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment