On Wednesday, Sean and I had a date night to celebrate our 9th anniversary (a week early). I'd gotten a couple of recommendations from a friend, so after checking them out I had it narrowed to two places that sounded good and were in the same area so I picked one on the way there. We got there, but the menu didn't have many gluten-free options and the atmosphere wasn't what we were looking for. The waitress said they could make other things GF, but we opted to leave and go to the other place, Bistro Bijoux, which was at the Village at Baytowne Wharf. At first we weren't sure about it either, but I was pretty hungry so we went in and got a table on the patio. It looked out towards the carousel and was a perfect seat for when the free concert started. Our waitress was great, making suggestions as needed, and we had a fabulous dinner of grouper (me) and snapper (Sean), split a bottle of wine, and creme brulae (Sean's first time) for dessert. After our leisurely dinner we sat outside for a bit, then I went for a walk to clear my head (from the wine) while Sean waited with his crutches.
On Friday, Ava woke up early and started scratching on the pack-n-play and "talking" really loudly. Bringing her in bed with me didn't help like it had other days, so I decided that we'd go for a walk along the beach rather than wake everyone up. The sun was just rising and the temperature was wonderful. I put her in the carrier and we walked for almost an hour. I talked to a couple of people: one lady was taking pictures of the sunrise, a couple that was hunting for shells, and an older gentleman that lived nearby and like to walk on the beach. The pelicans didn't even flinch when we walked past them although the other birds did run away, plus we saw a big crab the size of my hand fighting the waves (walking sideways!), a sting ray swimming along the shoreline, and the last baby turtle (from a nest that lady taking pictures told me about) going into the water.
Okaloosa Island in the early morning
Finally on Saturday, Fiona and I played on the beach. We built sand castles, used sand as pixie dust so we could fly, splashed in the waves (while I held her), and just enjoyed being outside. The wind was fairly strong so there were some big waves going, and the wind helped the sun not feel so hot.
There's other good memories from the trip, like Fiona's reaction to seeing fireworks for the first time (hated the noise, but liked the light), going for a nighttime walk with Sean along the beach, visiting with friends from college, and going swimming with Fiona and Ava in the pool. Fiona did good in the innertube and Ava LOVED splashing.



No comments:
Post a Comment